Welcome!

In this blog, I will share my expericences as a missionary, along with spiritual thoughts, scriptures, and other fun Gospel messages. Enjoy!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Harry Potter and the Gospel


Yes, it is actually possible to tie in Harry Potter to the gospel of Jesus Christ. The prophet Alma said that: "But, behold, I have all things as a testimony that these things are true; and ye also have all things as a testimony unto you that they are true; and will ye deny them? Believest thou that these things are true? But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." (Alma 30:41,44)

I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I love the books. Before my mission, that's basically all that I ever read. I listened to the books on tape before I went to sleep. I absolutely love it. I love the movies as well. The last Harry Potter movie I saw before I came out on my mission is Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. There are a few things about this particular movie that I didn't like, such as the adding of the scene where Bellatrix and Fenrir Greyback attack the Burrow. That never happens in the book. There was one scene that's not in the book that I found particularly interesting. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the books or movies, I'll explain a little bit about what's going on before we hit the clip. Harry's mentor, Professor Dumbledore, had just been killed by one of his colleagues and friends, Professor Snape. As a tradition of the Death Eaters, who are Lord Voldemort's (the ultimate bad guy) henchmen, every time they killed, they send the Dark Mark(symbol of a skull and a snake) into the sky. It's kinda hard to see in this 2nd video clip so I'll post this one just so y'all will see what it looks like. It appears in about the middle of the clip.



Harry had just tried to catch Snape and get revenge but was defeated rather easily by the well learned professor. Harry had come back to the place where Professor Dumbledore's body had fallen and we'll let the video take it from there...


What I thought was interesting was the way they all raised their wands to erase the Dark Mark. It signified to me the power we have as we work together. We are all on the same team as children of God. We all have the same enemy. Imagine what we could do against the evils of this world if we united together as the students and teachers of Hogwarts did! I know that each of us have a ton of potential, for we have an Eternal Being as our spiritual Father. Let us unite together against the influences of the adversary as we continue on the path back to our Heavenly Home. 

P.S. I own nothing of these clips. All the credit goes to Warner Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment