Welcome!

In this blog, I will share my expericences as a missionary, along with spiritual thoughts, scriptures, and other fun Gospel messages. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tag Team Effort

Recently, I finished reading the Book of Mormon for the 3rd time on my mission so far. I have a deep love and appreciation for the Book of Mormon and the messages it contains. It truly testifies of Christ and of His mission as our Savior and Redeemer. It outlines the way we can get back and return to our Heavenly Father. It answers the question of what happens to us when we die. All this, the Book of Mormon answers and more. When I finished it, I realized that I hadn't read much of the Bible. I knew the familiar stories and some really powerful scriptures, but I had never really took the time to read much. I started with the New Testament and am enjoying reading about the Savior's life and the things that He taught while over with the people in Jerusalem.

At this point, some of you who have been following my blog for a while are wondering what on earth the Bible and the Book of Mormon have to do with sports...well...I'll tell you. The Book of Mormon and the Bible work hand in hand. They do not take away from each other and they don't add to what's being said either. Both contain the fullness of the everlasting Gospel as taught by Jesus Christ Himself. They make one great team in testifying of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and His reality and divinity. Besides being a BYU fan (I think I've made that abundantly clear), I'm also a really big Utah Jazz fan. Those of you who are familiar with the history of the Utah Jazz know that not too long ago, they had one of the greatest, if not the greatest, 1-2 punch in NBA history. John Stockton was drafted by the Utah Jazz in 1984 with the 16 pick overall in that years' draft. He played his entire career lasting of 19 years with the Jazz and is one of the greatest point guards of all time. He holds the NBA all time record of career steals and career assists while averaging a respectable 13.1 points per game and shooting 52 percent in his career. He retired from the NBA in 2003. A good chunk of Stockton's career assists went to his good teammate, Karl Malone. Karl was drafted by the Jazz in 1985 and quickly became one of the best power forwards to ever play the game averaging 25 points per game, shooting 52 percent, while collecting 10 rebounds a game in 19 seasons, 18 with the Jazz. Here are just a few of their many highlights:



The way Stockton and Malone worked together was a thing of beauty. It was almost as though they could read each other's minds on the court. It's the same way with the Book of Mormon and the Bible. They work together. They support each other and encourage people to read each other. I know that the Book of Mormon and the Bible to both be the word of God and the messages in them will help us get back and live with our Heavenly Father again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment