Welcome!

In this blog, I will share my expericences as a missionary, along with spiritual thoughts, scriptures, and other fun Gospel messages. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Trials, Adversity, and how to get through it.

One of the main purposes of this life is to test how we will deal with the trials that come our way. The Prophet Lehi in the Book of Mormon taught that "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility." In order to know and truly appreciate the good in life, we would also have to experience the bad.
So to demonstrate this, I want to turn again to the world of sports. I remember, when I was younger, I was not very good at basketball. I couldn't shoot right. I couldn't dribble. I could barely pass without it getting intercepted by an opposing team member. Basically, I felt like I couldn't do anything right in the game. In essence, I felt kinda like these people:

This was a real trial for me. I loved the sport! I wanted to be good at it so I could contribute to my team. This frustrated me until one winter during basketball season. I had a really good coach. He knew I wasn't very good, but was willing to overlook it. He worked with me. He taught me good skills and wouldn't give up on me until I got it right. It took a while, but overtime, it got to where I could do stuff like this: 


Ok...maybe not exactly like that...but I improved! So where am I going with this? We all have trials in our lives, most of them are much more troublesome than not being able to play the sport of basketball. We want to be happy and have a peaceful, calm, enjoyable life and our trials distract us from this goal. Fortunately, we also have a Coach. He'll stick with us and help us obtain the skills we need, to have a happy successful life. He will never give up on us. This Coach is our Savior, Jesus Christ. How grateful I am for His help through my life. There were several times that I thought I wasn't going to make it, but that's when He put His arms around me and coached me through it. I know He does the same to everybody as well. In your times of struggle, go to your Coach, and He will help you through your hard times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment